+30 2842501490
    Mon - Sun: 8:00 - 16:00

    The Fortress

    The Fortress, which was built by the Venetians – the people from Ierapetra call it “Kales”- was constructed on the most southern pier of the ancient port, to the side of “Sarakina”. It is one of those monuments of the past that have been preserved due to their sturdy construction and their usefulness up to the last days of the previous century. It has always reminded us difficult periods of history for our nation, but it has also made us wonder and has taught the younger ones how to avoid the mistakes of the past.

    The first official reference is on the 13th April 1307, on an official document of the Venetian Senate, where it was mentioned that a fortress was being built in Ierapetra.

    The next reference to the fortress is in the 16th century, when Sammicheli supervises its renovation after the destructive earthquake in 1508 and the ottoman raids. It seems, though, that the damage was too extensive for any reconstruction to be made.

    In 1647, when the Turks laid hands on the city of Ierapetra, the Fortress, despite the hardships it suffered during the war, was preserved in order to serve the conquerors’ defense purposes and although a lot of reformations were made, plenty of Venetian features were maintained.

    Its present name “Kales” comes, of course, from the Turkish word “Kule”, which means tower.

    The Fortress, which was built by the Venetians – the people from Ierapetra call it “Kales”- was constructed on the most southern pier of the ancient port, to the side of “Sarakina”. It is one of those monuments of the past that have been preserved due to their sturdy construction and their usefulness up to the last days of the previous century. It has always reminded us difficult periods of history for our nation, but it has also made us wonder and has taught the younger ones how to avoid the mistakes of the past.

    The first official reference is on the 13th April 1307, on an official document of the Venetian Senate, where it was mentioned that a fortress was being built in Ierapetra.

    The next reference to the fortress is in the 16th century, when Sammicheli supervises its renovation after the destructive earthquake in 1508 and the ottoman raids. It seems, though, that the damage was too extensive for any reconstruction to be made.

    In 1647, when the Turks laid hands on the city of Ierapetra, the Fortress, despite the hardships it suffered during the war, was preserved in order to serve the conquerors’

    defense purposes and although a lot of reformations were made, plenty of Venetian features were maintained.

    Its present name “Kales” comes, of course, from the Turkish word “Kule”, which means tower.

    Photos